Thursday, November 22, 2018

Grocery Shopping Part II

Honestly until you've lived in another country you don't realise how much you take things for granted. I know in a few months everything will just flow- I'll know all the little tips and tricks for navigating in the grocery store, where to go and when for specialty items etc., etc. But right now if it wasn't for the kindness of the community I'd still be scratching my head, muddling my way through not even knowing where the stores are let alone how to shop there.My haul of soft light and brown sugar from Gemoss though I am going to try using Demerara sugar I got from Rimi (which I think is an Estonian grocery chain store. I've been told Tops is the Latvian grocery chain store) in the butter tarts. White sugar here has much larger crystals than I am used to as well. More mixing perhaps might take care of it? 
Promo was awesome with a lot of items for making Asian and Mexican food many if them labelled in English or easily identifiable. They had huge boxes of spices. And when I say huge I mean this:
So I succumbed and bought a few. We'll be eating a lot of curry and having ginger cookies for many years to come.

In the meantime, went to a store called Avokado and got the spices above. They will be bringing in cornstarch and corn syrup in the next few weeks so I may actually be able to make gingerbread cookies and cheesecake. In the meantime I need to create an English Latvian list so I know what to look for since Google translate is not working!
Document, document, document!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travelling in Latvia

Latvia has a wonderful train system that allows you to move between the major cities close to Riga easily and cheaply. It's not the VIA...